Sunday, February 21, 2010

Recipe: Winter Cranberry Beef Stew


This recipe caught my eye cos I have about 3lbs of untouched cranberries sitting in the freezer. I was a bit discouraged thinking it looked like another tomato-based stew which is quite familiar in the Philippines during Fiestas (they all look the same but the folks say they're called different names).

As what the recipe says, it's exactly how a stew should be - "The meat melted on your tongue and the golden brown gravy was nothing short of a flavor bomb." Looking at the picture, it probably looks like our very own Kaldereta. I'd say it's close but this has more depth in flavor - thanks to the bouillon, red wine and sweetness of the cranberries, my effort wasn't wasted in creating the same dish.

It took me 20 minutes to prepare the ingredients and 2 hours. Around the 1-hour mark, the aroma was so good my EQ dropped and I just had to try it. :) I never really liked dishes that would take more than an hour to make but this one is worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment