Sunday, April 10, 2011

Recipe: Today's Lunch

We've been so busy last week and I got sick for a few days so my husband and I ate out a lot. I've never felt more guilty about spending too much money on really unhealthy food delivery. Our Sundays are usually spent eating out but since we did most of that the past few days I decided to just stay home today and cook.

Today's Lunch : steamed rice + Gising gising + Bacon Liempo
I was inspired by Recipe's Gising gising. My team and I had lunch at their Trinoma branch a few weeks back and I really enjoyed their food, in particular their Gising gising. I didn't really know what Gising gising is until then and thank you Recipe for making me love a vegetable dish.

The Bacon Liempo was inspired by that grilled liempo dish they have at KKK. I wanted to try something fried since we don't have a grill so I thought it's gonna be a cross between Bacon and Lechon Kawali.

Gising Gising

Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp cooking oil
  • 1 whole onion, diced
  • 3-4 cloves of garlic, grated/minced
  • 1/4 kg of ground pork
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups of baguio beans, diced
  • fish sauce
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 1/2 chicken stock
  • 1 chili, diced
Directions:
  • Heat oil in medium-high heat. Saute onion and garlic until onion is transparent.
  • Add in the ground pork and season with a little bit of salt and pepper. Cook until pork turns white.
  • Add the baguio beans and season with fish sauce.
  • Pour the coconut milk and chicken stock. Add in the chili.
  • Simmer for a few minutes (I wait for baguio beans to turn bright green and the sauce thickened) and adjust taste with salt and pepper.
Bacon Liempo

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 4-5 cloves of garlic, grated
  • 1/2 tbsp salt
  • 1/2 kg liempo, sliced thinly (probably half of the usual grilled liempo slice)
  • 1 tbsp oil
Directions:
  • In a bowl combine vinegar, water, pepper, garlic and salt.
  • Arrange the slices of liempo in a long, shallow dish. Pour the vinegar marinade and leave in the fridge overnight.
  • Heat oil over high heat.
  • Drain the excess liquid from the pork - I used a colander and patted the slices paper towel.
  • Fry pork 3 minutes on each side or until color turns golden brown. Make sure not to overcrowd the pan.
  • When done, remove from fire and transfer to a paper towel bed to remove excess oil.
  • Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment